8 Best Destinations to Visit in Europe in February
Are you looking to escape the cold and embark on a European adventure in February? Look no further! Europe has no shortage of stunning and exciting destinations during this time of year. Here I’ll share it with you the best destinations to visit in Europe in February.
From the cozy streets of Prague to the sunny beaches of Portugal, we’ve compiled a list of the Best Destinations in Europe in February.
So pack your bags and get ready to explore the continent’s diverse cultures, stunning landscapes, and rich history. Whether you’re seeking romance, adventure, or relaxation, these destinations have something for everyone.
February, commonly known as Valentine’s Month, is considered a good time to visit Europe because of the mild weather and the romantic atmosphere.
Many European cities, such as Paris, Venice, and Prague, are known for their romantic ambiance and offer a variety of romantic activities such as candlelit dinners, boat rides, and wine tastings.
Additionally, many European cities also celebrate Valentine’s Day with special events and activities, making it an ideal time for couples to visit.
1) Paris, France
Paris is often considered a romantic destination. It is called the City of Love, and the month of February, with Valentine’s Day, is especially popular for couples looking to take a trip together.
It is known for its romantic atmosphere all year round, but in February the city takes on a special charm. The city is decorated with lights and hearts, and couples can enjoy romantic dinners, strolls, and boat rides on the Seine.
Also, there are many events in February, many of which are focused on romance and love. For example, Paris Fashion Week and the Saint-Valentin fair, where you can find many romantic and unique gifts for your loved one.
February is typically the coldest month in Paris, but it’s still mild enough to enjoy a comfortable stroll along the Seine or in one of the city’s many parks.
All in all, Paris in February is considered an ideal destination for couples looking for a romantic getaway during Valentine’s Day. These are the reasons why Paris is No #1 of the best destinations to visit in Europe in February.
5 Best Places to Visit in Paris in February
- The Tuileries Garden: These beautiful gardens are located near the Louvre and are a great place for a stroll on a sunny February day.
- The Marais: This charming neighborhood is known for its beautiful architecture, quaint cafés, and trendy boutiques. It’s a great place to explore on foot and get a feel for Parisian life.
- The Seine River: Take a boat tour along the Seine to see the city from a different perspective and admire the famous landmarks from the river.
- The Rodin Museum: This museum is dedicated to the works of the French sculptor Auguste Rodin and is located in the beautiful Hôtel Biron. The garden surrounding the museum is also worth a visit.
- Carnaval de Paris: If you happen to be in Paris during the last weekend of February, be sure to check out the Carnaval de Paris, an annual event featuring colorful parades, music, and costumes.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Paris
- Hotel Marignan Champs-Elysées
- Hôtel Odessa Montparnasse
- Turenne Le Marais
- Hôtel Regina Louvre
- Longchamp Elysées
2) Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich’s February weather is relatively mild, with temperatures averaging around 3-5 °C (37-41 °F). It’s a good time to visit before the peak tourist season starts.
It has a variety of winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating. The nearby mountains provide excellent opportunities for winter sports, and the city itself also has many ice rinks.
February is a month when many cultural and entertainment events take place in Zurich, such as the Zurich Film Festival, the Street Parade, the Zurich Wine Festival, and many more.
The city is known for its high-end luxury stores and designer boutiques, making it a great destination for shopping.
5 Best Places to Visit in Zurich in February
- Lake Zurich: Take a romantic walk or boat ride on the frozen lake and admire the beautiful Alpine scenery.
- Old Town: Explore the charming streets and squares of the Old Town, lined with picturesque medieval buildings and quaint shops.
- The Rhine Falls: Take a train or bus to the Rhine Falls, the largest waterfall in Europe, and enjoy the beautiful natural setting and the sound of falling water.
- The Chinese Garden: Take a stroll through the beautiful Chinese Garden, a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city, with traditional Chinese architecture, bridges, and rock gardens.
- Fine Dining: Zurich has a wide variety of restaurants offering a variety of cuisine, but if you want to make it a special evening, book a table at a Michelin-starred restaurant or a cozy fondue place.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Zurich
- The Dolder Grand
- Kameha Grand Zurich, Autograph Collection
- Small Luxury Hotel Ambassador Zurich
- Sheraton Zürich Hotel
- Leonardo Boutique Hotel Rigihof Zurich
3) Algarve, Portugal
Being off-season, February is less crowded than the peak summer months, allowing you and your partner to have a more intimate and tranquil experience while visiting the Algarve. Also, February is one of the mildest months in the Algarve, with temperatures averaging around 15-18 °C (59-64 °F) during the day and still comfortable for outdoor activities.
The Algarve offers a variety of romantic activities for couples, such as taking a sunset stroll along the beach, a boat tour along the coast, or a hot air balloon ride over the region.
The city is known for its beautiful beaches, rugged cliffs, and clear waters, making it a romantic destination for couples. So, Algarve added the best destinations to visit in Europe in February.
5 Best Places to Visit in Algarve in February
- The Marina of Vilamoura: Take a romantic stroll along the marina, enjoy the views of the boats and the sea and have a romantic dinner in one of the seafood restaurants.
- The Benagil Cave: Take a boat tour and explore the beautiful sea caves, including the famous Benagil Cave, known for its natural skylight.
- Praia do Camilo: This secluded beach is a great spot for a romantic walk or a picnic. It is located in the town of Lagos.
- The Algar Seco: This beautiful rocky coastline is a great spot for a romantic hike or a picnic. It’s located in the town of Carvoeiro.
- The viewpoints: Take a drive along the coast and stop at the viewpoints to admire the panoramic views of the sea and the coastline. Some of the best viewpoints are in the towns of Portimão and Albufeira.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Algarve
- Jupiter Algarve Hotel
- Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa
- Four Seasons Vilamoura
- Martinhal Sagres Beach Family Resort Hotel
- Holiday Inn Algarve
4) Venice, Italy
Venice is known for its picturesque canals, charming architecture, and beautiful art and museums. Visiting Venice in February can be a great experience as it offers a mix of culture, romance, and history.
February is also a good time to visit Venice because it is less crowded than the peak tourist season in the summer, which makes it easier to navigate the city’s narrow streets and enjoy popular attractions without as much waiting in lines.
Best Places to Visit in Venice in February
- Piazza San Marco: This iconic square is home to several famous landmarks, including the Campanile bell tower and St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Rialto Bridge: This famous bridge spans the Grand Canal and offers great views of the city.
- Gallerie dell’Accademia: This art gallery features a vast collection of Venetian paintings from the 14th to 18th centuries.
- Canale Grande: Take a gondola ride along the Grand Canal for a unique perspective on the city.
- Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari: This impressive church is home to several works of art by Titian and other famous artists.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Venice
- Cipriani, A Belmond Hotel, Venice
- The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- The St. Regis Venice
- Hotel Danieli
- The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5) Lisbon, Portugal
February is a great time to enjoy Lisbon’s nightlife as many locals come out to celebrate the Carnival, which is a popular festival in the city.
And the temperatures typically range between 10 and 15 degrees Celsius (50-59 Fahrenheit). This makes exploring the city and its many outdoor attractions is a pleasant time.
February is the best time to visit Lisbon to enjoy traditional Portuguese festivals such as “Festa de São Brás” which is celebrated on the 3rd of February, and other local festivals that are held in different neighborhoods of Lisbon.
All of these factors make February an ideal time to visit Lisbon for those looking to explore the city’s rich culture and history, without the crowds and higher prices of peak tourist season.
5 Best Places to Visit in Lisbon in February
- Belem Tower: A UNESCO World Heritage Site and iconic landmark of Lisbon, the Belem Tower offers stunning views of the city and the river.
- Jeronimos Monastery: Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is the most beautiful example of Manueline architecture.
- Sao Jorge Castle: Located on a hilltop in the historic Alfama district, Sao Jorge Castle offers panoramic views of the city and is a great place to explore the history of Lisbon.
- Bairro Alto: Known for its nightlife and restaurants, the Bairro Alto neighborhood is a great place to experience the vibrant culture of Lisbon.
- Lisbon Oceanarium: The largest indoor aquarium in Europe, the Lisbon Oceanarium is home to a variety of marine life from around the world and is a great place to visit for families.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Lisbon
- The Lumiares Hotel & Spa
- AlmaLusa Baixa/Chiado
- Memmo Alfama – Design Hotels
- Valverde Hotel – Relais & Chateaux
- The Ivens Autograph Collection
6) Prague, Czechia
The city of Prague is naturally romantic, and in February with the snow-covered streets, the city gets more charming and romantic. Prague is known for its picturesque winter landscapes and charming Christmas markets, which are open until the end of January.
The temperatures in February are relatively mild, making it a comfortable time to visit. Many events and festivals take place in Prague during the winter months, such as the Prague International Jazz Festival, which can add to the cultural experience of a visit to the city.
February is considered an off-season for tourism, thus the accommodation, flights, and other expenses are more affordable than in other months.
5 Best Places to Visit in Prague in February
- Old Town Square: a beautiful historic square in the heart of Prague that features the famous Astronomical Clock and many Gothic churches.
- Charles Bridge: a 14th-century stone bridge that spans the Vltava River and offers great views of the city.
- Prague Castle: a magnificent complex of buildings that serves as the residence of the Czech president and is home to the Golden Lane and the St. Vitus Cathedral, the Old Royal Palace.
- Wenceslas Square: a historic square that is home to several important landmarks and monuments, including the National Museum and the statue of Saint Wenceslas.
- The Jewish Quarter: an area of Prague that is home to several synagogues, cemeteries, and museums dedicated to the city’s Jewish history and culture.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Prague
- Four Seasons Hotel Prague
- Hotel Kings Court
- Alcron Hotel Prague
- Corinthia Hotel Prague
- Hilton Prague Hotel
7) Canary Islands, Spain
The Canary Islands are less crowded in February compared to the peak tourist season in the summer, which means you can enjoy the beaches and other attractions without the crowds.
It offers a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, and water sports, that can be enjoyed in the mild February weather.
February is home to several festivals and events in the Canary Islands, such as the Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which is one of the most famous carnivals in the world, or the Maspalomas Gay Pride in Gran Canaria.
Accommodation and airfare tend to be cheaper in February, making it a more affordable time to visit the Canary Islands. Also, the temperatures are generally mild and comfortable, with an average high of around 22 degrees Celsius.
5 Best Places to Visit in the Canary Islands in February
- Tenerife: Tenerife is the largest of the Canary Islands and offers a diverse range of attractions, from its famous beaches to the Teide National Park, which features the island’s highest mountain and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Gran Canaria: Gran Canaria is known for its beautiful beaches, lively nightlife, and impressive natural landscapes, including the Roque Nublo volcanic rock formation and the Tamadaba Natural Park.
- Lanzarote: Lanzarote is known for its unique volcanic landscapes, such as the Timanfaya National Park, as well as its beautiful beaches and the famous Cueva de Los Verdes, a lava tube cave system.
- Fuerteventura: Fuerteventura is the island of windsurfing and kitesurfing, but also has many beaches, dunes, and natural parks, like the Corralejo Dunes Natural Park.
- La Gomera: La Gomera is the second smallest of the Canary Islands, but it offers a wealth of natural beauty, including the Garajonay National Park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the beautiful Valle Gran Rey.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in the Canary Islands
- Royal Hideaway Corales Suites
- Hotel Fariones
- Santa Catalina, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
- Lani’s Suites de Luxe
- Alava Suites
8) Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona is the capital and largest city of Catalonia, an autonomous community in Spain. It is located on the Mediterranean coast and is known for its rich history, culture, architecture, and art.
The city is home to a number of famous landmarks, including the Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and Casa Batllo, all designed by the famous architect Antoni Gaudi.
In addition to its architectural wonders, Barcelona is also renowned for its delicious cuisine, lively nightlife, and beautiful beaches. The city is a popular travel destination and attracts millions of visitors each year.
Off-season travel can offer good deals for flights, accommodations, and activities, which makes it a good time to visit for budget-conscious travelers. I have listed the hotels if you don’t want to waste time booking a hotel.
5 Best Places to Visit in Barcelona in February
- Sagrada Familia: This iconic basilica, designed by Antoni Gaudi, is one of the most visited attractions in Barcelona and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Park Guell: This park, also designed by Gaudi, features colorful mosaics, sculptures, and landscaping, offering a unique and whimsical experience.
- Casa Batllo: This modernist building, also designed by Gaudi, features a distinctive facade, and a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city.
- La Rambla: This historic street is a bustling pedestrian avenue lined with shops, street performers, and cafes. It is a must-see for any first-time visitor to Barcelona.
- Picasso Museum: This museum houses one of the most extensive collections of works by the famous artist Pablo Picasso, including some of his early and lesser-known works.
5 Best Hotels to Stay in Barcelona
We hope you’ve enjoyed this list of the 8 best destinations to visit in Europe in February. The great thing about traveling to Europe is that no matter where you go, there’s always something going on and plenty of things to do. If you’re looking for more information about what are the best hotels there, check out our blog for more tips and tricks!